Call Twilight Ghost Hunts: 07966 103113

UK Ghost Hunting | Halloween Ghost Hunts | Book a ghost hunt

Twilight is thrilled to bring you a brand NEW location in the heart of London, The Morpeth Arms!

Built in 1845 in Pimlico, The Morpeth served the prison guards of Millbank penitentiary and became a holding facility for prisoners awaiting deportation to Australia. The cells are still beneath the pub today and are rumoured to have secret tunnels that prisoners used to escape captivity. The Morpeth is a working pub, which overlooks the impressive & intimidating MI6 building on the north bank of the river.

In June of 1816 the first prisoners where admitted to Millbank penitentiary,during construction, these where all women. Male prisoners followed in the January. It was plagued with problems from the offset, being built on Marsh lands & old plague pits, it caused subsidence. The building was creaking & windows spontaneously shattered. In addition to problems with construction, the marshy lands where festered with disease, in 1882 a epidemic swept through the prison causing dysentery, scurvy & other disorders.  A decision was made to evacuate the building for several months, female prisoners where released & make prisoners where transferred.

There where other issues with the building, sound carried so prisoners could talk amongst each other in cells, there where so many corridors prison wardens where getting lost, on top of disease & subsidence, a new “model prison”, known as Pentonville, opened in 1842.  Millbank became a holding depot for prisoners awaiting deportation.  Around 4,000 people a year where condemned & transported to Australia  annually by 1850.

Millbank finally closed in 1890 after becoming a military prison for a short while.

Standing on site of Millbank now, is the gate modern, The Royal Army medical college, the Chelsea college of Art & design and most impressively, using original brickwork from the prison, The Millbank estate.
Twilights evening at the Morpeth will begin with a dinner in the spy room, an introduction to our team followed by an evening of paranormal investigation! You will also have the opportunity to investigate for yourself using our range of paranormal equipment.
A menu choices will be sent to you 5 weeks before the event date in case of any menu changes. 

Although we are in a pub, as usual with all of our events, no alcohol is allowed to be consumed.

Event Date 08-10-2022 8:00 pm
Event End Date 09-10-2022 3:00 am
Capacity 24
Registered 17
Available places 7
Individual Price £55.00

The hotel takes its name from an ancient defensive earthwork which runs for three miles from Pinner Hill to Bentley Priory and which dates back to Roman times. The earthworks formed part of the boundary of the territory belonging to the Catuvellauni tribe of Ancient Britons and was constructed to help keep out marauding Romans.

The earthworks were originally known in Anglo-Saxon times as Grim’s Ditch but the word ‘Ditch’ evolved over the ages into ‘Dyke’ for reasons that are not known. The land on which the hotel stands is carved out of the estate of the ancient Augustinian Priory of St Gregory which was founded by Ranulf de Glanville who subsequently became Chancellor and Chief Justiciar of England. The original Priory building is thought to have stood in nearby Clamp Hill and in 1248 it was renamed the Priory Bentley in memory of a monk who had been accidentally killed there.

 

In later history it belonged to the Dean of Canterbury before falling into the hands of Henry VIII, not by reason of the Reformation but because it was swapped by Thomas Cranmer for lands in Wimbledon. Granted by the Crown to William Sacheverell and Robert Needham in 1546, the land passed through many hands until 1788 when it was purchased by the 9th Earl of Abercorn.

 

As a private house prior to becoming a hotel the Grim’s Dyke’s 140-year history was very much tied up with the fortunes of four famous Victorians – an artist, an architect, a banker and the greatest comic dramatist of the age.

 

The building that is now the hotel was designed by the architect Norman Shaw as a country house for the eminent Victorian artist Frederick Goodall. Goodall in 1856 had purchased 100 acres of land at Harrow Weald from the 2nd Marquess of Abercorn which included the site of the present building. Shaw and Goodall were kindred spirits and were both members of a social circle that met throughout the 1840s at Redleaf in Kent. Building work on the house started in 1870 and Goodall and his family took up residence two years later but they only lived there for a few years. For both professional and family reasons Goodall missed being so far out of London and in 1880 he sold the house to Robert Heriot, a partner in the private bank CJ Hambro & Son, and moved to St. John’s Wood. Heriot was effectively in day to day control of the bank particularly when its then chairman Everard Hambro was either hunting in Scotland or at his home in Biarritz.

 

In 1883 Heriot added a billiard room designed by Arthur Cawston adjacent to what was formerly Goodall’s studio. This room included an inglenook fireplace but it was designed in a coarse Gothic style quite out of keeping with Shaw’s original scheme. Ten years later, Heriot put the house on the market, retaining Shaw’s services as an agent. By now the grounds were showing signs of neglect but this did not deter Sir William and Lady Gilbert who were to become the house’s last and arguably most illustrious owners. They viewed the property while touring in the neighbourhood and then set about organising the purchase for £4000 in August 1890.

 

Gilbert had an international reputation as one of the foremost English dramatists and his collaboration with Sir Arthur Sullivan resulted in one of opera’s most enduring and successful partnerships. His plays, both comedies and drama, had been a popular feature of London theatrical life since 1867. At one point he had five shows running simultaneously at different London theatres and in addition, touring companies were taking his work to the suburbs of the metropolis and to the provinces. . During their 21 years at Grim’s Dyke Sir William and Lady Gilbert made many changes to the 40 acres of grounds surrounding the house. Sir William created a home farm which gave him plenty of scope to indulge his great fondness for animals. He grazed a small herd of thoroughbred Jerseys and also kept pigs and poultry. . The construction of the lake which had a surface area of around 1.5 acres was probably the biggest gardens and grounds project undertaken by Sir William and his wife but it was also the place where Sir William met his untimely death on May 29 1911.

 

He used to bathe there in the summer and one day gave two local girls permission to swim with him. However one of the girls got into difficulties and Sir William tragically drowned trying to save her. Lady Gilbert stayed on at the house until her own death in 1936 when it was acquired by the Middlesex County Council and the London County Council who jointly leased it to the North West Regional Hospital Board. It was used from 1937 to 1962 as a rehabilitation centre initially during the Second World War for women suffering from tuberculosis although after the war male patients were also admitted for rehabilitation. Recently, it has emerged that the Grim’s Dyke was used for secret military work during the Second World War. Details of this work remain classified until the 2040’s but it is believed that the house was used to examine captured German machinery and parts of shot down aircraft which were analysed by Allied scientists from Bletchley Park. This secret work was so important to the war effort that it is thought that both Winston Churchill and General Eisenhower visited the house.

 

Several well-known TV series and feature films at the time were filmed here and the house and grounds can be seen in several classic Hammer House Of Horror productions. In addition much of the iconic 70’s comedy ‘Futtocks End’, which was written by and starred the late Ronnie Barker who at one stage lived in nearby Pinner. was filmed at the Grim’s Dyke. The hotel is still used by film and tv companies. The wedding night scene from last year’s ‘One Chance’ about the life of ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ winner Paul Potts was filmed at the hotel and location scenes for ‘Eastenders’ and ‘Holby City’ are regularly filmed here.

 

 

Event Date 30-10-2022 8:00 pm
Event End Date 31-10-2022 2:00 am
Registration Start Date 31-01-2022 12:00 am
Capacity 30
Registered 16
Available places 14
Individual Price £79.00

The royal gunpowder mills is in Waltham Abbey, which is thought to be the final resting place foe King Harold. Harold's church, the Holy Cross and St Lawrence is a stones throw from the mills- The Holy Cross, a black crucifix, found at Montacute in Somerset was brought to Waltham in about 1030 AD. It was believed to have great healing powers and the town became a centre of pilgrimage in medieval times.

The gunpowder mills have over 300 years of history in making gunpowder set in 170 acres of land, the royal gunpowder mills in historic Waltham abbey is one of our biggest venues.

From the mid-1850s onwards the site was involved in developing new nitro-based explosives and propellants as well as gunpowder.

There were mass fatalities at the mills, not just the dangerous working conditions but many people lost their lives caused by the huge explosion of one of the incorporating mills in the 1700's. The explosion was so loud it was heard throughout Waltham Abbey. Deaths that occurred here are documented and available at the local parish and in archives at the mill.

During wwII Over 6000 workers where on site at the mills, over 3000 of them where women. The women worked  in the powder mills in very dangerous conditions, playing crucial roles during the war. During World War II, Waltham Abbey remained an important cordite production unit and for the first two years of the war was the sole producer of RDX. RDX is one component of torpex, the explosive that was used in the Bouncing Bomb.

The Royal Gunpowder Mills finally closed on 28 July 1945.

 

For our special evening we will have access to one room in the Walton house, where Mrs waltons ghost has been seen many times by staff & visitors. Staff here have reported odd noises whilst walking through the different buildings and a general eerie feeling. During our investigations over the years, we have experienced strange light anomalies here, the sound of phantom rain, shadows walking past the windows and on one occasion we had a cup move on its own across the table towards us!

With a huge area to explore & investigate, the Royal gunpowder mills truly is a daunting place after dark!

 

 

Event Date 12-11-2022 9:00 pm
Event End Date 13-11-2022 3:00 am
Capacity 30
Registered 20
Available places 10
Individual Price £55.00
Location Royal Gunpowder Mills

We return to our second spiritual home next February and we cannot wait!
Oak raven is situated in the beautiful village of Mitcheldean in Gloucestershire, surrounded by the haunted Forest of Dean- filming location of Harry Potter and other movies. 
The building we will be staying in was formerly Plump hill School, The school building dates back to 1878. The Plump Hill School was opened by the school board in 1878 with 151 places. More classrooms were added in 1890.The school closed in 1984, but operated as Plump Hill Environment centre until 2011. The site reopened as the Oakraven Field Centre in 2014.
We have stayed so many times and investigated this building and it’s surrounding forest thoroughly and can honestly say it is one of the most haunted & mysterious locations we have the privilege of knowing. 

Over the years we have had objects move in front of us, a shadow moving across and through a doorway  has been caught on camera, a heavy locked door has opened on request- which was amazing & terrifying at the same time! Several familiar faces have been heard on our portal and the word “mama” has been heard by several team & guests over the years with their own ears- no equipment being used! We have so many ghost stories about this beautifully haunted place…. But we want you to have your own!

Our weekend away includes:
*Both evenings ghost hunt of the old school house & Forest of Dean
*Accommodation in one of the cosy rooms upstairs
*Paranormal & dowsing workshops 
*Access to our range of equipment all weekend 
*A witchcraft spell circle, with a spell to take home
*A walk to St. Anthony’s well, built by the monks of Tintern abbey many years ago & is said to have healing waters. 
*Breakfasts & Saturday night dinner plus snacks & refreshments available all weekend.

 

*Showers are on site but towels & toiletries are not provided 
*bedding is not provided, so please bring your own
*No alcohol permitted on this or any of our events 
*Tickets can be secured with a deposit 

 

Event Date 24-02-2023 12:00 am
Event End Date 26-02-2023 12:00 am
Capacity 12
Registered 7
Available places 5
Individual Price £205.00

The grand hotel, which now stand abandoned on the seafront, was built in 1895 by Edmond Park. The luxury hotel attracted England's wealthiest and most influential, but it was rumoured that Park held séances and strange occult rituals. Adding to his mystery and strange rumours, hemysteriously disappeared in 1899, never to be seen again. Many think that he was murdered in the hotel, cursing the property and his spirit has never left.

 

The building fell quiet for a couple of years, being purchased in 1899 by Thomas Baxter and John and Robert Fisher on 15th May 1899

Further misfortune beset The Park Hotel and due to bad publicity from a series of deaths the property was once again closed and repossessed by the Lancaster Bank in 1905.

Since 1905 the hotel has changed hands through several breweries from Tetleys - 1905 to Ind Coope -1970 and Allied Breweries - 1982. Through this time The Park Hotel has endured good and bad times, mishaps and mismanagement, problems and deaths.

Locals say a young soldier drowned in the sea and was brought back to the hotel, where he was pronounced dead. Emma Manson, who was murdered by her husband on the second floor and his body was found hanging in the tower. Another man took his life in the tower also, hanging himself from the outside. Lightning marks can be seen on the ceiling of the Observatory, where a green light used to be shone, ironically thought to ward off ghosts. . In total there are thought to have been 16 deaths on site.

 

When The Park was bought by its current owner, shrouds were found hanging from a ceiling and a human skull was found in a sink, indicating that maybe some occult or satanic worshipping may have taken place. Many stars of the stage would have stayed at The Park after performing at the nearby Morecambe Winter Gardens Theatre. Famous faces to have performed there are Laurel and Hardy, The Rolling Stones and George Formby

 

Event Date 29-04-2023 9:00 pm
Event End Date 30-04-2023 3:00 am
Capacity 24
Registered 7
Available places 17
Individual Price £55.00
Location abandoned park hotel

We return to our second spiritual home next February and we cannot wait!
Oak raven is situated in the beautiful village of Mitcheldean in Gloucestershire, surrounded by the haunted Forest of Dean- filming location of Harry Potter and other movies. 
The building we will be staying in was formerly Plump hill School, The school building dates back to 1878. The Plump Hill School was opened by the school board in 1878 with 151 places. More classrooms were added in 1890.The school closed in 1984, but operated as Plump Hill Environment centre until 2011. The site reopened as the Oakraven Field Centre in 2014.
We have stayed so many times and investigated this building and it’s surrounding forest thoroughly and can honestly say it is one of the most haunted & mysterious locations we have the privilege of knowing. 

Over the years we have had objects move in front of us, a shadow moving across and through a doorway  has been caught on camera, a heavy locked door has opened on request- which was amazing & terrifying at the same time! Several familiar faces have been heard on our portal and the word “mama” has been heard by several team & guests over the years with their own ears- no equipment being used! We have so many ghost stories about this beautifully haunted place…. But we want you to have your own!

Our weekend away includes:
*Both evenings ghost hunt of the old school house & Forest of Dean
*Accommodation in one of the cosy rooms upstairs
*Paranormal & dowsing workshops 
*Access to our range of equipment all weekend 
*A witchcraft spell circle, with a spell to take home
*A walk to St. Anthony’s well, built by the monks of Tintern abbey many years ago & is said to have healing waters. 
*Breakfasts & Saturday night dinner plus snacks & refreshments available all weekend.

 

*Showers are on site but towels & toiletries are not provided 
*bedding is not provided, so please bring your own
*No alcohol permitted on this or any of our events 
*Tickets can be secured with a deposit 

 

Event Date 30-06-2023 7:00 pm
Event End Date 02-07-2023 11:00 am
Capacity 12
Registered 1
Available places 11
Individual Price £205.00
Location The Viaduct Tavern

Built in the early 12th century, St Briavel’s was an important royal castle on the frontier with Wales and the administrative and judicial centre of the Forest of Dean – a royal hunting ground where the game was protected and the king alone allowed to hunt.

 

The castle was in royal possession by the 1160s and was rebuilt, with the small but impressive keep, by Henry II (r.1154–89). The Forest of Dean was important for another reason – it was one of the centres of the medieval iron industry, small scale by present day standards but a vital source of supply for the manufacture of weapons, especially crossbow bolts. The crossbow was the favourite weapon of the mercenaries who were employed in considerable numbers by Henry’s son, King John, who built a new hall (now vanished) and an elaborate chamber block at St Briavel’s.

In spite of this, John only visited St Briavel’s five times in the course of seventeen years, staying no more than eleven days altogether. John’s son, Henry III, also visited the castle from time to time, adding a small chapel to his father’s house. By this time the castle was functioning more as an administrative headquarters and workshop than a stronghold.

Under Edward I, thousands of crossbow bolts were produced at the castle in preparation for the king’s Welsh and Scottish campaigns. Edward took care to ensure that his arsenal was well protected. With the conquest of Wales completed by the end of the 15th century, the castle’s importance declined rapidly and unused buildings were demolished in 1680.

Edward I added a fine twin-towered gatehouse to St Briavel's in 1292. During his reign the castle was a crossbow bolt factory, using local Forest of Dean iron to produce weapons for his campaigns against the Welsh and Scots.

 

In the 18th and 19th century, the castle was re-discovered and became a prison. King John’s former bedroom, The Solar Room, was used as court room. One can still find a stone at the castle which shows marks of swords and axes. Yes, this stone was used to relieve people of their heads. The prison was closed due to many local riots. In the 20th century, the castle was completely renovated. In 1948, St. Briavels took on its new and current function: that of a youth hostel.   

 

Many years later the gatehouse became a prison where those accused of committing offences within the forest area were held while awaiting trial.

A number of prisoners’ inscriptions remain which testify to the unwholesomeness of the gaol. Fines were a profitable form of punishment – or mutilation, which served as a public reminder of the consequences of breaking the king’s law. Another form of punishment was the oubliette (which in french translates to “to forget”) The prisoners would be thrown in to a hole in the ground, the gate above them locked and covered up until the next prisoner had the same fate.

The keep collapsed in 1752, by which time the great hall had also been demolished, and the east tower collapsed in 1777 destroying the adjoining buildings.

The castle was still being used as a debtors’ prison until 1842. After centuries of neglect and decay, the surviving buildings were restored and rendered habitable at the turn of the 20th century.

 

Surrounding the castle is the very haunted Forest of Dean, well known for the witches that used to frequent the woods for healing ingredients & even healing waters at St Anthony’s well. A stunning location used for sets for films such as Harry Potter & Lord of the rings. The views from the castle are spectacular, over looking a large portion of the Forest. We are also close to the beautiful Tintern abbey.

Event Date 27-10-2023 7:00 pm
Event End Date 29-10-2023 10:00 am
Capacity 28
Registered 19
Available places 9
Individual Price £220.00

We return to our second spiritual home next December and we cannot wait, Christmas time at Oak raven is especially magic & beautiful!
Oak raven is situated in the beautiful village of Mitcheldean in Gloucestershire, surrounded by the haunted Forest of Dean- filming location of Harry Potter and other movies. 
The building we will be staying in was formerly Plump hill School, The school building dates back to 1878. The Plump Hill School was opened by the school board in 1878 with 151 places. More classrooms were added in 1890.The school closed in 1984, but operated as Plump Hill Environment centre until 2011. The site reopened as the Oakraven Field Centre in 2014.
We have stayed so many times and investigated this building and it’s surrounding forest thoroughly and can honestly say it is one of the most haunted & mysterious locations we have the privilege of knowing. 

Over the years we have had objects move in front of us, a shadow moving across and through a doorway  has been caught on camera, a heavy locked door has opened on request- which was amazing & terrifying at the same time! Several familiar faces have been heard on our portal and the word “mama” has been heard by several team & guests over the years with their own ears- no equipment being used! We have so many ghost stories about this beautifully haunted place…. But we want you to have your own!

Our weekend away includes:
*Both evenings ghost hunt of the old school house & Forest of Dean
*Accommodation in one of the cosy rooms upstairs
*Paranormal & dowsing workshops 
*Access to our range of equipment all weekend 
*A witchcraft spell circle, with a spell to take home
*A walk to St. Anthony’s well, built by the monks of Tintern abbey many years ago & is said to have healing waters. 
*Breakfasts plus snacks & refreshments available all weekend.
*Saturday night roast dinner  

*Showers are on site but towels & toiletries are not provided 
*bedding is not provided, so please bring your own
*No alcohol permitted on this or any of our events 
*Tickets can be secured with a deposit 

 

Event Date 01-12-2023 7:00 pm
Event End Date 03-12-2023 11:00 am
Capacity 12
Registered 0
Available places 12
Individual Price £205.00